Παρασκευή 20 Ιανουαρίου 2012

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Publication Date: 2002 (first published in 1960)
Series or Standalone: Standalone
ISBN: 9780061120084
Format: Paperback
Pages: 323
Websites:
Harper Lee - Official Site
Harper Lee - Goodreads

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Overview:
"Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
A lawyer's advice to his children as he defends the real mockingbird of Harper Lee's classic novel—a black man charged with the rape of a white girl. Through the young eyes of Scout and Jem Finch, Harper Lee explores with rich humor and unswerving honesty the irrationality of adult attitudes toward race and class in the Deep South of the 1930s. The conscience of a town steeped in prejudice, violence, and hypocrisy is pricked by the stamina and quiet heroism of one man's struggle for justice—but the weight of history will only tolerate so much.
_______________________________
This book has been sitting on my TBR shelf for something over two years. Every time i would decide to start it, my attention would be turned to another book. I guess i finally decided it was about time i start reading it. Now i want to hit myself on the head for having waited this long.

I did have high expectations of this book becasue of all the great things i had heard but in the end it managed to surpass my expectations. It was touching in so many ways. I am especially affected by topics such as racism and injustice so you can imagine how deeply this book moved me. I find it so sad that there are still people today who are unable or unwilling to understand that we are all human, all people with a soul and a unique personality no matter the color of our skin.

This is a book i would definitely recommend to everyone! If i ever have children this will definitely be a book i will "make" them read. I really do believe one can evolve from reading this book.

Furthermore, i found the characters extremely likable and i enjoyed following them around and witnessing the ways in which they grew and matured. The characters are also very realistic and true to their era.

I also find the title of this book lovely. I love it!
Looking forward to seeing the film adaptation soon!

Sorry, i know this isn't a very good review, i am really tired and I've taken up a very demanding and intense course for this session witch leaves me very little free time to do the things i like. Hopefully, my next review will be much better.


1 σχόλιο:

  1. I haven't read this since early high school and was thinking it would make a great choice for the Classic genre.
    Thanks for sharing your review

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή