Σάββατο 24 Δεκεμβρίου 2011

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain


Publisher: Penguin Classics
Publication Date: 28 Feb 2006 (first publication in 1876)
Series of Standalone: Standalone
ISBN: 0143039563
Format: e-Book
Pages: 282
Websites:

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars


“‎"TOM!"
No answer.
"TOM!"
No answer.
"What's gone with that boy, I wonder? You TOM!"
No answer.
The old lady pulled her spectacles down and looked over them about the room; then she put them up and looked out under them. She seldom or never looked THROUGH them for so small a thing as a boy; they were her state pair, the pride of her heart, and were built for "style," not service-- she could have seen through a pair of stove-lids just as well.” 
 ______________________ 


I’ve been meaning for a long time to read this book, I had heard so many praises about it that I just had to read it and see for myself what the fuss was about. Well, it captured my interest and hooked me from the very first page; it definitely deserves being called an all times classic.

I loved its timeless humor and how it often brought a broad smile to my face. I loved the carefree antebellum south rural life it depicted and I often found myself comparing life back in those days and life today.

What’s more, I immediately took a liking to Tom Sawyer and his adventurous spirit, I admired his impulsiveness and cleverness and his bravery. He made me want to get up and have an adventure of my own.

Finally, it got me thinking and everyone just seemed much more happy back then. The children were more innocent and looked forward to having fun and playing outside with their friends; Today’s children prefer to stay indoors and play video-games or watch TV, they seem to have lost their innocence, the very thing that makes them a children. It’s sad in a way and troublesome; it makes you wonder about the children of the future. 

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου